Sunday, September 23, 2007

Turgid Atheism

John Loftus sent me an email asking me if I "had read [his] book yet, friend?" He included a link to a blog entry where he tells everyone that Eddie Tabash recommends his book. Frankly, that makes me want to read it even less (which is paradoxical since I don't care to read it at all!). He implies that his book "is the best counter-apologetics book ever." What a slap in the face to guys like Oppy, Q. Smith, Drange, etc. Talk about a Napolean complex.

Tell ya what, John, if you can tell me why this review of your book, which concludes that I should save my money when it comes to purchasing your book, is wrong, perhaps I'll consider reading your book.

3 comments:

  1. You misread and misinterpreted what I said in my blog entry, Paul, again. Try taking a basic hermeneutics class okay? The only thing I said about my book is that I think it's a good book if you read it properly, and that my aim is to make is the best one on the market today. A counter-apologetics book does not parallel Oppy's or Drange's books, which deal expertly with separate issues like the existence of God and evil--books which are far superior to mine. It parallels those general Christian apologetics books dealing with the whole range of issues supportive of Christianity along with those against it.

    The only way you will ever deal head on with what I say is to first understand it. Straw men is what I see coming so often from Triablogers. If your arguments are so much better than mine then you shouldn't have to misrepresent what I say, right?

    Furthermore, Hays wrote something too long to respond to, but I did read it through. For the most part it was nitpicky, and given the propensity of Triablogue to utilize straw men against me, some of what he wrote didn't deal with what I had actually said. And he totally ignored my chapter on the problem of evil. As a self-published author I did learn from Hays (he's got to be one the most well-read bloggers on the web today), and so I revised some things in the present book now at amazon because of his review.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed Tabash? You mean the guy whose arguments against Christianity were dismantled by Greg Bahnsen? Seriously, I wouldn't want that guy to tout my book. That would be like a Dave Hunt endorsement for a scholarly christian work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny,

    You ARE a strawman.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete