Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Global Citizens Guide

April 19, 2006

To: Friends and Supporters of Christian Freedom International

Fr: Jim Jacobson

Re: "Global Citizens Guide"

As you may know, I travel a lot. I was stunned to learn of a new, soon-to-be-released State Department publication.

The U.S. State Department in partnership with major corporations is launching a new campaign "to get American travelers more sensitive" and to "repair America's battered image abroad."

In short, the federal government wants Americans to behave more like "citizens of the world."

A passport-sized guide booklet, entitled "World Citizens Guide" will be distributed to Americans traveling abroad and with every new passport issued.

And how are we supposed to act? According to newspaper reports, here are a few examples:

In many countries, any form of boasting is considered very rude. Talking about wealth, power or status - corporate or personal - can create resentment.

Listen and ask people you're visiting about themselves and their way of life.

Never lecture. The US is seen as imposing its will on the world.

Think locally. Remember, most people in the world have little or no interest in the World Series or the Super Bowl. What we call "soccer" is football everywhere else.

Slow down. We talk fast, eat fast, move fast, and live fast. Many cultures do not.

Speak lower and slower. A loud voice is often perceived as bragging.

Don't talk about religion. Your religion is your religion and not theirs. Religion is usually considered deeply personal, not a subject for public discussions.

For starters, I am appalled that the federal government would tell me or any other American how we are supposed to "behave" when in another country.

Notice we are not to talk about "religion," i.e., Christianity. What an outrage. This is absolutely wrong. As Christians we should and must, according to our faith, tell others about Jesus Christ.

I continue to be concerned about the growing hostility in Washington toward anything "Christian." It is almost impossible these days for persecuted Christian asylum seekers and refugees to come to this country. And now the State Department does not want me and other Americans to even mention our faith when overseas. Forget it!

I have never considered myself a "Global Citizen" and after looking at these guidelines, I know why. I am an American. I love this country and I am not ashamed of this country or my faith.

I hope you will join me in sending a note to our elected officials to voice opposition to the publication of the "World Citizen Guide."

# # #

Christian Freedom International (CFI) is an interdenominational human rights organization for religious liberty. For more information or interviews, contact Christian Freedom International at 540-636-8907 or visit online at www.christianfreedom.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment